View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 05:26 PM
mkfmbos
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2017

The Job. I never even thought about these things. I was so hell bent on becoming an airline pilot that I would have done anything. Recently I have been questioning some of my choices. What led me to those choices and how would my life be different if I hadn't made them. But none of them are about my choice of career field. I don't want to do anything else. Being away from home is something I have to deal with so I can't have a job that I love. I have a wonderful supportive wife and two awesome kids and it's really tough when I am away but I still wouldn't dream of doing anything else.

15+ days off per month
-Not sure how "home" you are when you get home at 6pm on Wednesday night and then in 12 hours have to do it all over again. Pilots often get 10+ days off in a row.

Buddy at Jetblue: 18 days off with 88 credit hours.

Scheduling Flexibility
-with some seniorty you pick what days you want to work.

Working Enviroment
-You are the boss bro. Just you the other guy, your crew and ATC. Make it happen. No need to wear a funny tie or be nice to people you can't stand. Don't like the crew, swap the trip.

Money
-United gives you 16% of your salary for retirment. Say you get hired when you are 30: 0n 150k thats a lot of cheese when you are done working. You will average well over that at most legacy carriers. Oh and you will work a little less than half the year.

Lots of benifits buddy, but if you don't mind driving to work everyday, on the the same road, and looking at the same people everyday then maybe giving up on your dream is a good idea. Personally, I couldn't stand it.

I woke up one day and I said to myself "if I don't pursue this I'll regret it the rest of my life." So I closed my eyes and dove straight in and havn't looked back.