View Single Post
Old 10-17-2007, 05:36 AM
jungle
With The Resistance

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Burning the Agitprop of the Apparat

[QUOTE=ryane946;248416]Well Jungle this figure always bothered me but I never really took the time to look into it until today.
And guess what... I found your math errors (there were two of them).

Not my math errors, but the source quoted. Thanks for the correction anyway.

Here is an article about current arrays: http://www.renewableenergyaccess.com...story?id=43336

The project is projected to generate 130,000 MWh of power per year over the course of its decades-long lifetime. All of its electricity production will be sold to Nevada Power and Sierra Pacific Power under long-term power purchase agreements to help them meet this requirement.

The real world gets us about 64MW or 130,000 MWh per year from 350 Acres. Cost is still not anywhere near competitive with coal or nuclear.

Run the numbers again using this state of the art example and you will find your estimates somewhat optimistic. Nevada is the best possible case, the rest of the US wouldn't fare as well.

When and if solar gets competitive in the market, we will see wider application. Until it does it remains an unproven and less efficient way to generate power for those not dwelling in deserts.

Rough numbers indicate that present state of the art(138,000MWh for 350 acres) would require about 945,000 square miles to satisfy the requirements of California. California has an area of about 163,707 square miles. This could present a problem.

Last edited by jungle; 10-17-2007 at 06:39 AM.