Old 12-22-2017, 08:43 AM
DLax85
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Gear Monkey

Originally Posted by kronan View Post
Umm, no.

Here are some quick and dirty numbers. Assumptions on a 30 year career, 3 as NB FO, 3 as WB FO, 9 as NB CAPT, rest as WB. Assumes NO raises after amendable date of our contract. Assumes 6% return.

After 30 years, our notional newhire @ 16% should accumulate roughly 3.2M which equates to a 128k payout (remember, any raises in 5 years will only Increase that number)

@20% should accumulate 3.97M = 159k

I do like the 30%, that winds up at 5.96M = 234k

And, no, none of those numbers take into consideration our 8/9% B plan. While not estimating any future code increases (B plan limit goes to 275 next year)
Our newhire should accumulate 1.8M = 72.2k in the B plan

Just my limb here...but I’m thinking there might, just might be some desire once the numbers start coming out. Especially if it includes a lump sum option (my wag on lump sum option would be about 70% of the 3-5M accumulation...remember, it’s a hypothetical accumulation that generates an annual pension but it never actually draws down to 0 the way our B plan can)

Considering FedExs experience with the straight cash balance plans for our support folks, surprised they’re still sitting on our modified cash balance concept. And that’s all it is at the moment, words from my rep some time ago indicated that the 1st concept ppt show we received is what they presented to the company.

Specific details will be waiting on polling from us if mgt decides they’d like to enter negotiations.
30 year career

1-3 NB FO
4-6 WB FO
7-15 NB Capt
16-30 WB Capt

Seems like a lot of upgrades at 100% and a lot of time on Reserve

We will be trading QOL now for retirement later

What “discount rate” are you applying to that QOL?

Our Current A plan only depends on your “High 5” — whenever you choose to get it.

And You only need to get it once!

I know Captains who’ve completed their High 5, who’ve bid back to NB Capt to hold their hometown

What happens to guys who go on disability for a few years, or those who never return?

In a “cash balance” or pure DC plan your YOS are powerless

Sure, the Time Value of Money and compounding are still exponentially powerful - but to make an equivalent benefit pilots will have to work much harder in their early years.

Trading our A fund to a plan that reduces a pilots flexibilty, lowers QOL options, and disadvantages those who may have a medical disability?

No thanks