View Single Post
Old 12-23-2017, 08:15 PM
Bruno82
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: BE9L, Captain
Default Returning to 121

Hello all,

I’m looking for thoughts and perspectives from the APC brain trust.

I’m looking to return to the 121 world and would like to work for a AA, UAL, DAL, SWA, FedEx or UPS. I flew for Eagle for 6 years then left for my current job in 2012. I’ve been flying a King Air E90 for an oil company since then. I also do the desk work that the company does which has been enjoyable and a good skill to fall back on if needed. However, flying has slowed down and I suspect the current owner will retire in a couple of years and the plane will be gone.

I have 5,800 TT, 4330 Part 121, and 780 TPIC. My problem is I’m down to about 60 hours a year. We are Part 91 and we fly as a two person crew so actual flight time is about double.

I’ve had apps in to the companies above for a year. I currently make good money at my job and have a good QOL. Going to a regional or LCC and making maybe $40kish a year would be very tough for my family. My fear is going back to a regional and getting stuck making regional FO pay in a downturn. I’m not sure if I’m even marketable at an LCC but I wouldn’t mind staying at one long term.

So, to the brain trust: Would you...
A) Stay where you are, hope the above companies call, and wait until the company sells the plane and then go to a regional or LCC?
B) Go to a regional, hope to upgrade, get hired somewhere or flow?
C) Go to a LCC
D) Other

I appreciate any constructive advice and thoughts.