Thread: SIU Carbondale
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2006, 07:52 PM
JMT21
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Get a non-aviation degree, or an engineering degree in the aerospace field. DO NOT get a Av mgt. or Av science degree...these have no practical benefit in the real world.
I would agree with this strictly from the stand point that it is never a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket. On the other hand there are many degrees out there that have no practical benefit in the real world; take communications, political science, sociology, theatre arts, etc, etc for example. As I'm sure you will agree, one learns much more through out his or her college experience then just the knowledge required to earn a degree (regardless of the degree). One could make the case that these more subtle lessons are just as or more important in preparing you for life than a diploma. As Mark Twain said, 'I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.'
It is a staggering number of college grads that don't end up working in their field of study. I'm sure this applies to those of us with or working towards an aviation degree. As I have heard mentioned before, if you earned a degree 20 years ago and never did anything with it, it's not going to be a lot of help to you now anyway. With all of that said, I do not believe an aviation degree is useless or unpractical; there are many good jobs out there that a) do not require a degree or b) that do require a degree but it dosen't really matter what the degree is in (being a pilot if you consider that a good job).