View Single Post
Old 12-28-2017, 11:17 AM
DiveAndDrive
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2015
Default 1000 hours TPIC vs Regional

Hello everyone! I'm posting this in the Major forum, because I am wondering what option would be my best bet to get to a major.

I'm currently under a contract flying Cessna Caravans on part 135 essential air service routes. My contract ends late summer/early fall 2018. I should be upgrading to captain in February or March. By the time my contract expires, I should be having about 4-600 hours TPIC. I know it's single engine turbo prop time, on an aircraft that is essentially a large 182. But it is still TPIC nonetheless.

My question to y'all, is should I stay at the 135 operation for probably 6 months or so after my contract expires to get that 1000 hours TPIC, or should I go to a regional ASAP? I'm really torn on it, as are most of my coworkers. About half says go to the regional asap, upgrade in 18-24 months, and start building 121 ME Turbojet TPIC. The other half says that an additional 6 months isn't that big of a deal to get 1000 hours TPIC, just to be able to "check that box". Some of my coworkers are even inclined to say that you can go right seat from a regional to right seat at a major if you get the 1000 hours TPIC time at my current company. I think that might be a little far fetched, but I really don't know. That's why I'm asking for everyone's opinions, please and thank y'all. I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas, and a happy new year!!