View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 04:54 AM
CBreezy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

Originally Posted by FlyingStormie View Post
ATP doesn't require the PPL before starting, but they do have a track for those with the PPL and at least 80hrs total time.

While I can't say if they truly are/are not underpaid, they do have less control over their schedules than their counterparts at an FBO or Flying Club. The flip side of that is having your students assigned to you rather than waiting until they find you could be advantageous.

One of the CFIs that I flew with at the Club I joined was a former ATP student and Instructor. The only negative thing he had to say about his time there was that they sent him, as a CFI, to Portland and he didn't fly very much due to weather. He left as he got tired of waiting to transfer to Denver.

Going to ATP doesn't make you eligible for the "restricted" ATP. In short, it's only available to Military Aviators and graduates of approved collegate degree/training programs.

The 1500 Hour Rule - Restricted ATP Requirements for First Officers | Boldmethod
I can tell you they are woefully underpaid. I worked at a different flight school and made twice-three times more than my friends answering phones in JAX waiting for their standards ride.