View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 07:33 PM
Glorified
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Question 54 year old - too old?

Hi there people,

I know that this question has been asked a fair few times, however, most of the other "potential" pilots asked this question in their 30s and 40s. I am in my mid fifties, I'd like some advice on taking a path to a pilot's job. Give it to me straight, am I really too old?

Before you answer that, I am not interested in any ATP job as that is definitely beyond my reach. In fact I am looking at attaining a CPL IFR ME, not much further than that. If I do reach that goal, then I would be looking for any position that would build up my hours to (hopefully) get into a more stable small regional flying job.

I am an Australian English teacher in Thailand looking to make a major change in my life in order to fulfill my lifelong dream of becoming a pilot.
I will be doing my training in the U.S., as the prices for flight training in Australia are exorbitantly high.

I have a final question which might be a bit difficult to answer.
Once I complete all the training in the U.S. will I be able to get a job in the States as, say, a Flight Instructor, and later on, hopefully into a regional flight position. I realize this question is a bit beyond the scope of many people in this forum, as it's more of an immigration question, green card, and all. I'm hoping someone here would have some knowledge about this.

Thanks very much.

Ted