View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 05:34 PM
ppilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Left seat

Originally Posted by SongMan View Post
I have few elemantary questions about these planes.

-For soft/short takeoff, C172 use 1 notch (10 Degree of flap). However I see that Worrior uses 2 notch according to the POH. I'm guessing it has to do with low and high wing. Can someone explain why this is? Also do you ever just use 1 notch of flaps on Worrior for short/soft takeoff's?

-On cessna 172. the fuel tanks are connected to one another. If so, why is it that you have different amount left after a flight? I mean even if different amount is burned on each wing tank, wouldn't it even out after it is parked for couple hours?

-I'm confused why Piper warrior is also called cherokee. Isn't Piper a company and Worrior PA-28 model of aircraft? So why add Cherokee? So when we call ground for clearence, we tell them that we are Piper Cherokee Warrior PA-28???

thank you!
1) Don't really know. The pipers have a big fat wing with a higher wing-loading. They found in certification that it performed best with more flaps. This isn't unusual. Some 172's call for 0 degrees flaps for short field work.

2) Uncoordinated flight will often end up with more fuel in one tank than the other. When parked on level ground, it should eventually even out. They're usually parked with the fuel switched to 'left' or 'right' which will stop it from evening out.

3) There was originally a cherokee 140, 160, and 180. The 160 was updated with a roomier cabin and called the Warrior, the 180 became the Archer. You'll still hear them called Cherokee sometimes. There are a number of Piper products like this (Navajo/Chieftain?)

Hope this helps.