Old 01-04-2018, 06:12 AM
dfwcowboy
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
It appears this is a continual problem. It is not ok for this to continue if the OPs story and claims of multiple events is true.
Many times reality is quite different when you have both sides of the story, but I wouldn't be surprised if this one is true. There are some bad controllers out there and quite often they seem to get by with a lot of bad behavior before anything is done about it. One red flag is the controller's refusal to give his initials. Yes, they can be tracked down by time and position log, but why did they refuse to provide initials? There is no logical reason to refuse unless they are being evasive about being held accountable.

If I were really interested in doing something about this, and had nothing better to do with my time, here's what I would do if I were the OP...

The first step is to find out the name and mailing address of the Air Traffic Manager for the tower. The phone numbers are listed in the chart supplement (formerly known as the Airport Facility Directory). Call the number during normal business hours.

Write a letter to the ATM explaining the situation including dates, times, location, and the frequency used. In the CC field of the letter, include the FAA Administrator, Department of Transportation Secretary, your elected House of Representative member, both Senators, and anyone else you can think of like local FSDO manager, POI, etc. Do this for each occurrence.

It's quite possible the ATM will throw the letter in the trash and nobody else will inquire about the matter. It's also possible someone in congress will start asking questions, which no manager in the FAA is going to enjoy answering.

This type of action requires a fair bit of effort and probably won't endear your company callsign to the rest of the local ATC workforce, so it might be worth considering ATCBob's advice.