View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 06:41 AM
Tannhauser621
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Grumble View Post
Dude you’ve got at least 8-10 years before you’ll even have the option. There is no telling what the airline landscape will look like then.

Shoot for what you want, the rest will fall into place. That said you couldn’t pay me to go to the P-3/P-8 community. I’d ask why not tailhook, but there are plenty of guys that don’t need to be convinced of that. Take what your IPs say with a grain of salt, there’s a lot of TACAIR hate in the VTs. Great IPs but don’t let them bias your choices. If I could go back and be a JO in a VFA squadron again I would in a second. There’s no better flying you’ll ever get to do then day case 1 around the boat.

No platform is going to make you anymore or less competitive for the airlines if it’s fixed wing. Far and away the majority of airline guys I fly with that were Navy/Marines, were pointy nose.
So I would love tacair, however speaking to current guys at the VFAs as well as 2 instructors we have here, it requires a ton of dedication, that’s a level of dedication I can’t say I have. I don’t want to burn up someones spot that wants it more than I do. Also if you’re stationed in oceana, I’m told work ups are done in the west coast, so your away from family. Stationed in LeMoore, well.... you have to live in Central Valley. I don’t like the idea of raising my kids where breaking bad could’ve very well been filmed. The only negative thing IPs here have said come from the p3/p8 guys who say loving on the boat would suck.

So you say no platform makes you more/less competitive if it’s fixed wing, my predicament was between helos and E6s. 8-10 years, a lot may change, but i know for sure there will still be airlines, and they’ll still be looking for the most competitive applicants. That being said which is most competitive helos or e6s, or will it matter?