View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 06:56 AM
ViperGuy69
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Position: 737 FO
Default New hire commute from OKC

Looking for advice on commuting from OKC. Hoping to get hired this summer and eventually want to get based at DFW. But unless I can snag the S80/DFW, it looks like most new hires are going to LGA/PHL/LAX/MIA. Like most commuters, I'd be hoping to hold a line as quick as possible and bid for an aircraft/base that is more "commuter friendly".

All I know so far is:

OKC-LAX: 2x non-stops per day, longer time on reserve than LGA or PHL, no idea on other commuter factors like report/finish times, length of trips, etc.

OKC-LGA: 2-hop via DFW, hold a line faster than LAX/MIA, early report times/late finish times, serve 3 airports, crashpads are expensive.

OKC-PHL: 2-hop via DFW, hold a line fairly quickly (E190), better/cheaper crashpads, no idea on commutable lines.

OKC-MIA: 2-hop via DFW, lots of commuters competing for jumpseats, serve 3 airports, longer time on reserve than LGA or PHL, no idea on crashpads or commutable lines.

I've heard commuting to reserve sucks, and 2-hop commuting to reserve REALLY sucks. And of course the big question: how long until I could hold DFW? I've heard anything from 1 yr to 2 yrs. Hoping that time shrinks with all the retirements/hiring in the next year.

Thanks for the help!