View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 10:25 AM
Grumble
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by Tannhauser621 View Post
Thanks again for the perspective, but with all due respect, just because I’m not gung-ho tacair doesn’t mean I’m not gung ho naval aviation. I’m absolutely hung-go Navy pilot, however I have career aspirations to the airlines and I absolutely should factor that into my decision; hence why I’m here. Full disclosure, I’m gung ho VPs since day one. The mission and airframe have been a constant draw since I was getting my masters. To say I should have gone SWO, etc is just ridiculous. I get it; Tacair guys have best chances to the airlines due to currency. But again for the 3rd time I’m not going to select something my heart isn’t completely in when there are kids here who will give their left nut for it. At almost 30 years old I’m confident in my ability to say something isn’t for me. Mind blowing, but I’m ok not flying jets. Thanks.
If you want VP, the go for it. Stop with the “what’s gonna get me to the airlines” BS because in 10 years when you have the option to get out, the landscape will be totally different. OBTW if you go VP, good chance you’ll either be non current (shooter tour!) or flying BAMS or another UAS by that time.

When I selected, I put Jets (E2 was its own pipeline in those days), Helos and left the third slot blank. I joined the Navy to go to sea and see the world. I also knew I wanted to end up at the airlines at some point but I would figure that out later. There are plenty of helo guys at the airline I fly for and quite a few in my new hire class.

Do what you want RIGHT NOW not what you think you should do.... that advice will serve you well (it did me) your whole career. The guys that always took the orders they think they should were always the most miserable.

If you want the best of both worlds, I would go E2/C2 if I were in your shoes knowing what I know now. (Props are slower, you build more time, not even being funny about that) We all thought the NFO retreads were crazy for wanting to go that route when I was a stud. After my first cruise I realized they were geniuses. VP guys don’t know jack sht about perdiem compared to the C2 guys!