View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 12:53 PM
midlifeflysis
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Default Cubicle to Regional

First time poster here so go easy . I've been reading a lot but want to post my specific situation here and see if anyone has any thoughts.

1200 hour pilot, was a full time CFI,CFII,MEI for 3 years back in 2006-2009, was thinking about the airlines when the economy fell apart and ultimately ended up in the corporate (non-aviation) world.

Have B.S. in Engineering and Masters in business, $150k+ job, but the corporate life is a soul sucking rat race. I have had a passion for aviation since I was a little kid and I find myself traveling for work a lot, always thinking I should be up front and quit the 60 hour weeks behind a computer screen. I picked flying back up 3 years ago, flight instruct on the side for fun and probably fly about 100 hours per year.

Given the current environment it seems like the industry is finally paying enough and there is enough movement for me to at least consider giving it a go. I know there isn't much time left for me to make a decision to start to take on flying full time. Couple of questions:

1. For those that have maybe made a similar transition is it what you expected? Do you find you feel you work more or less (i.e. how is life when not tethered to a smartphone 24/7)?

2. If close out my last 300 hours and apply to a regional in the next 12 months, will I still have time to make the move to a Major before the wave fizzles and I end up a lifer FO with no seniority?

3. Unlike most on this forum I live in New York City and have the ability to stay here (wife works and does well and we own our place) - will this help me in terms of getting interviews and also moving up the seniority list faster?

4. Any other thoughts welcome.

Thanks!