View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 07:46 PM
midlifeflysis
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Thanks RickAir.

Yeah I'm one of those crazy people who grew up here, wife has a job she loves, etc.. so glad to hear it has some distinct benefits.

On your comment about researching things that majors would want to see, from what I have read, besides the education and hours, there hasn't been a lot of clarity, seems like a bit of a crap shoot after that. Are there other things I should be considering that they like to see?

Have no background issues as far as I know.
- No recent traffic tickets (last one was speeding in 2007)
- No DUIs
- No Failed Checkrides
- No Arrests/misdemeanors

..Anything else?

Lastly on the comment about dropping everything to pursue the majors, I assume you mean once I can some hours at the regionals and have the mins? No Major is going to consider a guy with 1500hrs and 100 piston multi unless I am missing something?

Thanks so everyone for the responses.

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Generally, much better QOL.

But before you get there, there's training (generally a special kind of hell, but that depends), then typically some junior-base reserve. Once you some seniority, it can be pretty good.

But the caveats...

- If you want to keep progressing to bigger planes (more money) at the fastest rate, you'll end up throwing away your seniority and starting all over with QOL. A mitigation is to suck it up until you get to a seat that pays *enough* money (typically Legacy FO), and then sit tight and enjoy your seniority for many years, and defer the CA upgrade (and big bucks).

Yes, the wave is just warming up. But don't waste any time.

Also sounds like you have some education tickets punched, but you'll want to research all of the things which stack up to make you appealing to a major BEFORE you commit. Background issues can be problematic.

Two things...

1. If you actually WANT to live in NYC, you should immediately drop everything and pursue major airlines. You will enjoy an significant seniority boost by staying based in what is the junior domicile for every airline that has a base there. You will also enjoy additional QOL benefits by living in a junior base (vice commuting).

It will probably take me nearly 30 years from the day I started pursuing aviation to be a legacy CA... and drive to work in SOCAL (which is my hard criteria). You could possibly do that in NYC in 5-7 years. From today.

2. A previous poster said it won't help with the interview... that's not entirely true. Most airlines (except DAL/FDX) will have some concerns as to whether you'll continue to shop around for better jobs. If you can tell them that you're rooted in their junior base, they'll know you'll be less likely to leave, and also less likely to be a reliability problem due to commuting. The majority of NYC based pilots (and FAs) commute, and they tend not to show up when it snows a lot.