View Single Post
Old 01-06-2018, 09:04 AM
Denti
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: A320 Left

I know it was possible in the US to work without disrupting any passenger service, if you had (at least) three cameras observing the area outside the flightdeck door and an electronic door lock with the required fail safe technology. One of the majors used that before germanwings on, i believe their 777 fleet. They quickly changed it, but i do not know if the regs have changed as well.

In europe there is no rule that always two persons have to be in the flightdeck if those conditions are fulfilled. The EASA initially recommended it, but after a year and a lengthy safety study that recommendation was rescinded and most if not all carriers went back to the old lone pilot rule. Pretty much every airline operating from or in germany is now back on the lone pilot SOP with the huge exception of ryanair, simply for the reason that they buy the most basic airplane configuration possible which doesn't include the camera system, door locking or even ACARS/datalink.

Since 9/11 i have never flown in an aircraft that didn't have cameras or doors that can comfortably opened from each pilot seat while observing that the area in front of the flightdeck door is clear and who wants to enter. Absolutely no need to get a flight attendant inside, they're better outside guarding the galley from passengers during those bio-breaks.