View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 04:03 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

[QUOTE=lowflying;2500063]
Originally Posted by Klsytakesit View Post

I don't smoke cigarettes nor do I like them. The point of my post is that it is slippery slope for a company to ban the use of a legal substance based on the latest trends in morality. What if the company made us take a cholesterol tests or decided that we should not ever drink alcohol or caffeine? How about riding motorcycles or skiing? If someone wants to smoke a cigar or god forbid smoke a cigarette its legal that should be the end of the story.

edited for diplomacy
Nothing slippery about it at all. Mary Jane is legal in several states. Should you be able to toke and fly? Athletes and entertainers commonly have contractual clauses restricting activities like motorcycles and sky diving, and even skiing.

An employer is not really infringing on your (non-existent) right to do hazardous activities, since you don't have to work for them.

If they get too ridiculous (ex banning coffee), then their pool of applicants is going to get small.

Cholesterol is a medical issue, not a voluntary activity, so that's a different animal and rightly falls under existing protections.