View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 05:56 AM
Cujo665
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Semi-Retired...

The dirty little secret nobody wants to talk about (until there's an accident or incident) is that since part 117 took effect, same day commuting in most cases is illegal.

You have to report for your duty period having had a 10 hour duty free period WITH and 8 hour rest opportunity.

so, unless you live within 2 hours of base, or unless you commute into base then get 8 hours rest opportunity; you are illegal to start on day one.

It really shows how much the unions are in bed with the companies that they allow their members to knowingly violate federal rules to appease the airlines.

We all know you can't show up on day 2, day 3, day 4, or more without having had 10 hours free from duty with an 8 hour rest opportunity. Please show me the exemption within the law saying that doesn't apply on day 1.

If they put you in an overnight hotel 4 hours from the out station, you'd call and make them adjust your show time.... yet, everybody thinks it's okay to commute 5 hours then sign in for a full day.

Just food for thought....

Some airlines are beginning to do home basing. It's been that way in the corporate/135 side at many places for a long time. Many cargo haulers like Atlas, Kalitta and others now offer home basing... and as far as I know, the first passenger airline to offer their pilots home basing is Via Airlines. I predict one of three things. Either the FAA will modify the rules to appease the airlines, or airlines will start home basing.... or they could also provide crew hotels to commuters and make it your responsibility to come to work 10 hours early unpaid. (this will be the first way they handle it until pilots revolt realizing it applies to all trips, not just ones too early to commute in for)