View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 12:15 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by evamodel00 View Post
ahaha I literally texted my recruiter before I even read your second paragraph and almost word for word she repeated what you wrote lol. Yeah no that actually sounds like a very cool opportunity. She told me I should be a mechanic for a year or two and then I could drop my warrant officer packet off once I have some familiarity with the helo. It gives me something to think about. I kind of pushed flying out of my head because it seemed unrealistic. My second choice was tip of the spear. Thank you for the advice! As I said before the main reason I am doing this is to put on the uniform and earn my keep. I just would rather if at all possible not hate what I'm doing.
I was of a similar mentality at age 18. Insisted on infantry despite maxed out asvabs and a recruiter who wanted me in a tech field. Fortunately (for me) I also maxed the SAT and got into a service academy.

If WO pilot isn't in the cards, also consider special forces if you want the pointy end. The army/guard does train reserves for that although I'm vague on the process (Navy is way different). You may be able to enlist for that specifically (guaranteed training) and then revert to 11B if you don't make it through. Low completion rate but very rewarding if you make it and are motivated for that sort of thing. SOF is like all the fun of infrantry on steroids, minus most of the BS. Big boy rules all the way. You will deploy, and you will do your job for real though.