Thread: 0 time to FO?
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2018, 09:54 PM
at6d
Strike averted!

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: B737

Like you said, time is a factor. In fact, timing is more likely the factor in question nowadays.

Step one is be able to get a medical. Once that's out of the way, you have several ways to do it between civilian and military routes.

I don't have the military background, so I'm out on that...but it's worthwhile looking into the options available there, including Guard, Reserve, Coast Guard, etc.

As for the civilian route, it's pretty cut and dry. You have to jump through all the hoops like the rest of us; the regionals are not an option until you have achieved the minimum hiring requirements along with your private through commercial ratings.

I'm pre-9/11 and a lost decade member, and the rules have changed since then, but the idea is to land a job where you can build time quickly--with the intent on building multi-engine turbine PIC time when able.

The regional industry is a good way to do it, and has recently become shorthanded and better paid. There is a joke in there somewhere, but the regionals beat the humor out of me.

Good luck.