View Single Post
Old 10-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Spartan07
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: C152

Originally Posted by usmc-sgt View Post
it is a good thing

it makes it a pain when you are leaving work and want to run into a store real quick but it is just one more thing that sets the Marines apart and I like it. For some reason it always irked me to see two soldiers cruising through the mall in their camis
Yeah I totally agree here. I think it is completely ridiculous to wear cammies (BDU's) in public under any circumstances. As far as I'm concerned if you aren't a recruiter or you aren't participating in some sort of public function that requires your uniform you shouldn't wear it. The only time I ever wore my work uniform out in public was when I absolutely had to stop and get gas or I wouldn't make it home (Nine times out of ten I accomplished this at the on-base gas station).

I just don't see letting any Marine wear a uniform off-base for no reason to be a good idea. Any time I was on recruiter's assistance and I had to wear my uniform in public I felt like a target. Everybody and their mother wants to walk up and debate the war or the current administrations policies with you. I've had people tell me that what I did over there was a complete waste and nobody wanted to waste more money on this "pointless war" (Never mind lives). It's just not worth the risk to have a bunch of Privates and PFC's (Or strategic LCpl's) walking around just asking to be interviewed by the media, in uniform. To me (And it seems most of the Marines on this board) it is pointless and unprofessional to wear your work uniform in public.

P.S - The policy on this was always a little bit fuzzy and it was generally assumed that you couldn't wear utilities in public under any circumstances. I think it was about three years ago that they put it in writing that if you were either stopping to get gas, stopping for baby food or diapers, or a very select few other situations you could wear cammies off base. I think this new policy just erased the old one. However, the authorization for gas and baby food etc. might have been a MCAGCC (29 Palms) base thing and not Marine Corps wide.