View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 12:40 PM
byrdseyeviewinc

Default Helicopter Pilot To FDX Pilot

Greetings, just a few quick questions for the FDX Captains and FOs. I am a CFI/ CFII (SEL) that is currently in the guard, the Army Guard that is. I will be flying Blackhawks, I am planning to get my CFI Helicopter as well. But my question(s) to anybody (FDX) out there.

1.) If I get a C-12 slot for the Army, fly Saab 340s only for a regional or fractional, what are my chances getting hired on at Fed? I mean, please don't sugar coat it, the thing that is on my mind is:

a.) I could try to fly the CRJ, but the progression from the right seat is FOREVER

b.) A C-12 cannot compete with the C-17/C-130/KC-135s etc time, I mean, yes, it is multi-engine turbo prop time, but who is going to take me serious when you got all of the bigger airframe guys waiting in line.

I just wanted to know if I am blowing in the wind with this hope of flying for FDX in the future. I am 30 years old, so I have time to build my pic turbine time effectively, but if you have a guy with 3,000 hours of Saab 340 time versus a guy with 1,700 hours of CRJ or C-17 time, who have more weight? I know that it is based on who you know as well, but outside of that, what is the real scoop?

And Last question: Do you think FDX will look at my motivation level, being able to fly two types i.e. Helicopters and Airplanes? Hopefully they could see if I am capable of learning to fly both, then I am capable of learing to be a FE. Just a thought, what do you all think? Thanks for you time///Fly Safe