View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 06:11 AM
maxjet
VHR-very happily retired

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by Globemaster2827 View Post
As an Atlas guy I believe that anyone under 55 should get out. We've got some over 55 that it makes sense to leave.

As a Kalitta guy it surprises me that you really believe that your job is more stable than mine. Edit... Just read you're 65. If I were a 12 year Captain under 55, I'd bolt K4 over just the retirement.
K4 is more stable, in that the Airline is valueless if it is not run as an airline. There is no route structure to sell, the aircraft are not new, and the OSK operation is not a part of the airline other than the symbiotic one it provides for both. K4 is in a niche market and will continue to flourish there even after Connie is gone. Thru the experience gained with past mistakes and successes, He has created an airline that is way more valuable being operated than it is being broken up and sold. With the future management people that are waiting in the wings, there is a stable, not spectacular, just stable future here.

16% contribution to the old 401k would be very nice and hopefully future contracts will move in that direction.

If I were a younger man, given the QOL life and the “family” culture when the chips are down, (hurricane, bereavement, family crisis), I would stay here until my retirement.