View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 08:05 PM
Bravix
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by TheAshtar View Post
AMCND is right.

When I was a NH, the compensation was at a level that most new people (millennials) have a hard time comprehending. $19.02/hour... We had to use WIC (Women Infant Care) in Utah and qualified for free shots for our first born. Not exaggerating, pay and benefits were low. Good savings or a winning lotto ticket were necessary to make it if you didn’t have parents or a trust fund to help. There were 7 of us interviewing on that day in 7/2003. I had 2400TT and a Citation type and was 2nd from lowest TT! During my FNG days there were two pilots who couldn’t afford a place to stay in their base (SBA) and lived in a surplus WWII officers tent at the state park for 8 months. This actually made the news and ****ed off brad holt.

I’m not trying to preach about walking to work, uphill in the snow, barefoot with a 25lb Jepp case; but I hope people/prospective pilots can use enough metal power to keep in mind not only their present situation, but also how good/bad it could be depending on all the outside factors (economy,etc.). Right now it’s good. It won’t be forever.

Captian slots for NH will slow going forward because: 1) there are fewer Captain needed in DTW, ATL as it all shakes out, and 2) as each month passes, more and more “junior” people with the “any” bid in are obtaining the required time.

Nothing different from the last 50 years. Going forward, I can’t imaging the changes/disruptions... but they will happen!

TFAYD!
Have a hard time believing you actually had to use WIC, and didn't just hear about it from that one pilot you flew with, when you don't know that it stands for Women, Infants, and Children. Strange that a millennial who you assume doesn't need it knows that but you don't

I get what you're saying though, but read my post which should be just above this one for my opinion on that.

You're right, this probably won't last forever. Why shouldn't we take advantage of it while we can? Or should only the executives get to take advantage of record profits? If we'll accept 1%, I imagine we'd accept concessions if the economy tanked and it was the only way to stay afloat.