Thread: 0 time to FO?
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 07:07 PM
fatman1683
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by PowerShift View Post
At your age the military is not an option. If this is a serious enterprise that you are considering this is my recomendations.

Quit your job and find a local flight school you can work with full time and acquire all the ratings. Private, Instrument, Commercial, Multi-Engine and Instructor ratings. This is 12-18 months. Consider buying an airplane.

Then instruct full time for 6 months.

You need 1200 hrs to fly part 135 PIC. Try and find a Part 135 SIC gig until you have 1200 hrs. Fly cargo, pax, etc and try and get as much PIC time as you can.

When I had 2500 TT and 1000 PIC multi/Turbine I would go to Skywest. Now you have the mins to start applying to the majors and at the same time your working for a regional.

This is a 5 year track to a major airline job. Most here did just as I described and where on that track prior to 9/11, economy downturn, age 65, bankruptcy’s, etc etc.

It’s a full time commitment, low or no pay, and bad hours. Think of it as 4 years of college all over again.

Regards.
This is pretty much the path I'm considering, full-time training and a combination of CFI and 135 until regional mins. Doing this in a reasonable amount of time depends on finding an active school to instruct at and a 135 carrier that will put me in the air as often as possible, and that's really my biggest worry.