View Single Post
Old 03-29-2006, 02:54 PM
FR8Hauler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Originally Posted by byrdseyeviewinc
Greetings, just a few quick questions for the FDX Captains and FOs. I am a CFI/ CFII (SEL) that is currently in the guard, the Army Guard that is. I will be flying Blackhawks, I am planning to get my CFI Helicopter as well. But my question(s) to anybody (FDX) out there.

1.) If I get a C-12 slot for the Army, fly Saab 340s only for a regional or fractional, what are my chances getting hired on at Fed? I mean, please don't sugar coat it, the thing that is on my mind is:

a.) I could try to fly the CRJ, but the progression from the right seat is FOREVER

b.) A C-12 cannot compete with the C-17/C-130/KC-135s etc time, I mean, yes, it is multi-engine turbo prop time, but who is going to take me serious when you got all of the bigger airframe guys waiting in line.

I just wanted to know if I am blowing in the wind with this hope of flying for FDX in the future. I am 30 years old, so I have time to build my pic turbine time effectively, but if you have a guy with 3,000 hours of Saab 340 time versus a guy with 1,700 hours of CRJ or C-17 time, who have more weight? I know that it is based on who you know as well, but outside of that, what is the real scoop?

And Last question: Do you think FDX will look at my motivation level, being able to fly two types i.e. Helicopters and Airplanes? Hopefully they could see if I am capable of learning to fly both, then I am capable of learing to be a FE. Just a thought, what do you all think? Thanks for you time///Fly Safe
There is nothing wrong with the C-12 time. FedEx likes to hire military guys. Get your 1000 hours PIC in the C-12 and then as much SAAB time as you can get. True the time probably does not stack up with the heavy time. You are still young too so you have options. You need the time and then you need to get some recommendations from FedEx pilots. Good luck.