View Single Post
Old 01-17-2018, 05:20 PM
Zwaldemarmn
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Lightbulb Air National Guard?

Hi
I am a Freshman at a part 141 school in MN. I just got my PPL and im currently about 1/3 of the way through my instrument training. I fly just about every day which allows me to progress through ratings very quickly. I'm expected to have my commercial, multi engine, MEI, CFI, and CFII by about this time next year. I have good grades 3.6GPA and don't intend on failing any check rides. I have always been interested in flying for the USAF as I was in Civil Air Patrol in high school. I'm trying to decide if I should enlist in the Air National Guard in the next couple months and go to BMT next summer (2019) and try to fly to the reserve or if I should stay as an enlisted airman and fly for an airline. Airlines are hiring every one of the pilots coming from my school so I'm not worried about that at all. My concern is that 1) I won't be able to fly C-130's (133rd squadron MSP) 2) I won't be able to maintain a career as an airline pilot while in the reserves. Is enlisting a smart idea right now? If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated!
Thanks