View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 01:22 AM
Typhoonpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: tri current

Originally Posted by Turbosina View Post
Just curious, can you clarify why? Is China Eastern's safety record that bad? I've never flown on a Chinese-state owned carrier. I travel extensively around Asia, and for transpacs am usually on United, Cathay, KAL, JAL, Asiana, EVA, and China Airlines. I've always wondered how the Chinese state carriers keep rates so low. That said, the safety record of KAL and China Airlines used to leave much to be desired, and Asiana hasn't done itself any favors recently in that department.

So, just curious why you wouldn't ride on one of the former CAAC carriers. (What did they call it back in the day? "Crashes And Always Cancels" if I recall...)

Safety is certainly a concern, but it's more about the nightmare of a travel experience as a passenger. Some examples:

1) Use of Personal electronic devices, even in the aircraft mode, are banned during takeoff and from 30 minutes prior to landing (basically top of descent). Use of smart phones, even in the aircraft mode, is banned for the entire flight. Only Tablets and Laptops are allowed.

2) Numerous fasten seat belt announcements, at great length, for every small ripple of turbulence.

3) Connecting domestic and international procedures from the dark ages. To the point that in some cases on a connection you must exit through baggage claim and go back to the check-in to get your next boarding pass.

4) Service standards and quality in First and Business is years behind the western standard.