View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 05:14 AM
Half wing
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014
Position: 787 right

Originally Posted by Typhoonpilot View Post
My points for this specific thread are numerous:

1) ALPA has a history of failed strategies that adversely affect U.S. pilots.

2) Most ALPA pilots tend to blindly follow those strategies without seeing where real threats to their career might be coming from.

3) The U.S. carriers seem to be giving away all the potential growth across the Pacific and in Asia to the Chinese (State owned and/or State supported carriers).

So a little bit of discussion to educate pilots is worthwhile. ALPA seems intent on campaigns against foreign carriers and in the process go so far as to try to hurt U.S. manufacturers' ability to sell their products overseas (thus harming other U.S. union workers). They get wound up about specific foreign competitors that their airline CEOs have told them are harmful all while the same CEOs go about outsourcing good international widebody flying to other State owned and supported carriers.

Just for the record, I am American and I do support the success of U.S. carriers and their workforce. I'm based in Taipei and can no longer ride on Delta (formerly NWA) flights to get back and forth to the USA. I have another home in Thailand where I can also no longer ride on Delta to get to and from the USA. I would never ride on China Eastern for long haul travel, or any of the other Chinese State owned carriers.

When Delta pulled out of Bangkok I mentioned it to some NWA 747 pilots and they did not even know. Which is why this kind of education is important. There are probably quite a few domestic Delta pilots who have no clue what is going on over here. Instead of writing letters to Congress about foreign competitors that you will never have any control over, how about more forcefully protecting your current international flying before it all gets outsourced?

Instead of trying to block the sale of U.S. equipment overseas how about writing letters to Congress to get more favorable treatment for U.S. airlines to purchase U.S. manufactured products? These are actions that will result in something known as a "win-win".
We agree that scope is the biggest concern/issue facing US pilots today. As Googles mentioned, it is the reason scope is section 1 in the contract. I also agree with you that US airlines should be getting a better deal on U.S. products, but it is currently the other way around. As far as bending over and letting unfair competition take market share, no thanks. I’m all for putting the brakes on that.