View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 08:43 AM
ACEssXfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2013

Originally Posted by RickJohnson View Post
Didn't see a thread specific to the new guy coming in looking for advice. I'm completely new to 121 operations - coming from general aviation, nothing commercial. What advice can anyone give us newbies to help us out? I have the ATP-CTP coming up in February, then starting FO training afterwards. I've posted elsewhere and received advice on studying Sheppard Air for the ATP - any other recommendations? Best strategies to pass ATP and FO training? What can we expect our days to be like at both? Any recommendations on how to survive? And pass! I'm looking forward to joining the airlines and paying my dues in the regionals! Thanks to everyone for posting info here. From a newbie perspective, this has been a wealth of knowledge.
Not to throw a rain cloud on an otherwise useful thread with good advice......But:

Your background, general aviation only with no commercial, tend to have the hardest time on IOE. Don't let this be you! If you have your own plane, go fly IFR. Doesn't have to be actual IFR just go out and do some work at a busy airport. Talk to approach, shoot some ILS, maybe fly into some airports you are less comfortable with. Fly the approaches FAST. Get used to the speed at which things work in the en-route environment while flying 250kts vs 90kts.

This is where people are struggling. Anyone can study enough to pass orals, sims etc. It's the real world stuff that might hang you up.

Good luck, welcome aboard. See you on the line.