View Single Post
Old 01-24-2018, 08:25 PM
collegedropout9
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

General186,

Go back to 1986 and I was a CW2 riding in the back of a C141 to Honduras to go fly Hueys. Talking to those MAC pilots got me thinking. Like you, I found out that it was hard to get a civilian helo job because I could not build hours fast enough in the Army. I determined the best course of action was to get my ratings at a local Mom and Pop flight school. Remember, they are add on ratings, so you can earn your Private, Instrument, and Commercial ratings in much less time because ( please tell me you have a FAA Commercial Rotorcraft rating with Instrument ) of your experience flying Hawks. Possibly you can get IP school from the Army, then get a civilian equivalent Rotorcraft CFI, then go out and obtain your FAA ASEL CFI. It will take time and money, but it is an investment in yourself and your family. Not far down the road in Salina, Ks is a local flight school with Cessna 172’s and CFI’s. You will be surprised at how much of your skill set will transfer from Blackhawks to Skyhawks. I spent quite a few days pulling Medevac at Riley back in the day. Obtaining a 121 pilot job with a Major airline is definitely possible with the right attitude. It’s a fun and sometimes bumpy ride.
Best of Luck.. CD9