View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 10:00 AM
FredEx
Deliverin' The Goods

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B757 FO
Default FedEx/ALPA LOL/Life Insurance Benefits

Purple Bros/Sisters:

I'm coming up on the end of my probationary year. It's time to look at the array of insurance benefits I can purchase from the company or from ALPA. I've been at two other airlines, one of which (AA) had very similar benefits to FedEx and ALPA's. But there are many more choices now than there were seven years ago.

I realize the company pays for a $800k life insurance policy, $15k of AD&D, and $150k for travel insurance. Do any of you purchase any more life insurance from the company or ALPA? Any advice? I'm currently in the Air Force Reserve with the $400k SGLI. I'll probably stay in the reserves another four years.

How about the LOL/LOL Plus and the LOL Lump Sum? My former carrier just had up to $3,600 in LOL bennies, but the lump sum looks like a good deal. The premiums sure jump up (double) at age 40, though.

How about the additional ALPA 10-year level term life insurance, group term, extended disability, short-term disability, long-term care, and AD&D? It looks like you can spend your entire check on insurance.

I'm 39, wife and two young kids, good health (I did have a heart issue five years ago, it's been corrected, I hold a first class with no restrictions and no medications), medium-sized mortgage, savings that has been wracked by furlough and probation and two age-65 parents in OK health.

Just for reference, what do you all purchase for benefits and what do you recommend for me?

Thanks in advance.

Fred