View Single Post
Old 01-25-2018, 04:31 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
Currently, a pilot can earn an average of $260,000 for any five years, and next to nothing for the other 20, and receive the full $130,000 annual benefit in retirement.

The scheme will encourage pilots to work harder, and longer, because every dollar earned will increase the number of retirement shares you can earn. (I'm sure the junior guys will love what that will do to seat progression.) There will be no such thing as getting your high five early and then taking it easy in the later years. .
These two factors right here are HUGE!!

It's unbelievable that an ALPA MEC would continually endorse and even seek out such self-destructive changes to our current CBA.

Having one's career curtailed due to license denying illness is obviously a huge deal. We do our best to plan for that contingency via disability insurance, loss of license insurance, etc. Being able to count on a full A-plan (or close to full) should anyone be faced with this situation late in their career isn't something to just throw away.

On top of that, consistently embracing man-power negative measures is absolutely irresponsible. We already incentivized max work and no sick-leave usage during the last 48 months of a pilot's career in CBA 2015.

Now on top of that, we're going to force anyone currently in "the in-between" who wants to get something close to what they already expect to have under the current A-plan to work until age 65.

My rep already acknowledged this in an email.... and I quote:
This plan will entice more pilots to fly beyond 60, as it will not have a years of service or salary cap. So yes, pilot behavior will change, but you will not be required to stay beyond 60 to see benefits in the new plan.

YGBSM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!