View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 05:45 AM
fatman1683
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
I'm trying to pick my words carefully here but sometimes the direct approach works best. I kind of cringe when I hear this quest for advice on shortest/fastest path from 0 to the right seat of a major airline.

Somewhere along that path, you're supposed to develop foundational skills, gain experience in a myriad of subjects and actually become worth a sh!t as a professional pilot. I hate to burst your bubble, but that ain't going to happen in just a few years. Sure, some folks get lucky and min time the whole process. Everyone has a story about someone who showed up on the line in their late 20's and hit the jackpot. We also have lots of stories about men and women who have no business doing this job even though they succeed at getting hired (at least for a while).

The last thing I'd care to hear from someone showing up to work on a crew I'm part of is: "I took the shortest path I could here... less than 5 years ago I didn't even have my PPL". Greaaaaaat.

So, just to end on a positive note. Good luck to you in your training and quest for a job at a major airline. Don't forget to enjoy the journey and get all you can out of it along the way.

I definitely appreciate the advice, and it's good advice for most people. If I didn't have 10+ years of experience in a highly technical field that requires constant training and skill maintenance, I wouldn't be nearly as confident about my chances of being successful. This approach absolutely isn't right for everyone, but I believe I have the chops to pull it off.