View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 06:40 AM
the apprentice
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Bgood View Post
As much as I agree that flexibility is good, I dont agree that the company should have any excuse to violate a signed contract. Its a contract. They want more flexibility? Come to the table sooner rather than waiting till 2020. Lets get a contract with muscle that improve QOL, language, pay, health insurance etc. and make us more attractive.

Cant use a fix-a-flat kit when you have a blowout.
I think you might be missing my complete message all together. You have to think beyond what you are looking for. Currently we have two issues to address. The first deals under the current CBA. The CBA that was signed several year ago is already outdated and leaves no room for scalability for either the company or the pilot group. The company is playing there card. That is to knowingly break the contract as they please and deal with the consequences at a later time. Remember the CBA is not punitive in nature and all they will have to do is make you whole of such contract violation. This is called breakage. As a pilot group what is being done every time the company violates the terms of the agreement? The fact is we just curl up into the fetal position wait for our next day off and then do it all over again. If the contract violation are such a big issue then what is the union doing about it? Why are the lawyers not involved? Lets start to use the court systems to our favor after all contract law is contract law and all you need to make a contract valid is 1. an offer 2. an acceptance 3. an intention to create a legal relationship and 4. a consideration (Usually in the form of money)

Now the second thing that needs to be address is that you have to look at the business aspect. You are asking for QOL, Language, Pay, health insurance, etc etc etc. What are you bringing to the table? What do you have to offer? From the business aspect you are just an expense at the very best you could be a cost avoidance measure. The reality is that you need to generate revenue and until you are able to demonstrate that you bring revenue to the organization then you will be stuck under the current CBA which leave the avenues for interpretation and breakage open.

This is a fear based management team their professional identity is their only source of personal power, and they more than anyone else in their sphere know how fragile that power is. They don't feel whole and healthy. They don't have the self esteem to build anyone else up and make the people who work for them feel strong and capable.You can easily see how fearful people put into management positions would not only devote their lives to pleasing their superiors by becoming almost machinelike in their devotion to the structure of business the rules and punishments and obsessive measurement but also take pride and almost delight in treating their employees like dirt. The false sense of bureaucratic power conferred on them by higher level managers becomes a substitute for self esteem. Healthy people grow their muscles throughout life, but unhealthy, fearful managers get their fake self esteem by hitting the marks that other people tell them to hit.

This is part of why until the management group starts to fear the pilot group breakage will continue. Hence why I ask what do you bring to the table? what do you have to offer?

No more half measures!