View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 07:41 AM
simscott
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017
Default Is it even worth it?

I got my private back in 1999 and was going to school at a local JR college for all the ratings then a flow thru to Continental Express. Prior to finishing up my instrument 9/11 happened and the rest is history. Being a dumb 22 year old it seemed like the death of a career so instead of pumping money into something I wasn't going to get a job in, I took a different path.

After working as an employee of a local government I've grown tired of the job as my flying passion has never left over the years. I'm looking to just pull the trigger and finish my ratings, CFI and enter a new career path that's dear to my heart. I have to tell you though, after following a couple regional forums here that are based in Houston, it seems nobody is happy flying as a professional pilot. I'm used to management problems and union squabbles but aside from that does anyone regret their decision to become a profession pilot? APC has a way to crush people's dreams lol, but youtube videos will make it seem like the greatest job on earth.

Anyway, any honest feedback on the lifestyle of being a regional pilot? I'm just gonna assume management sucks at every regional as an argument. I would be 41 or 42 at the time entering and understand I may or may not make a mainline...and I'm ok with that. QOL is most important since I have a wife and 2 kids.

Thanks