View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 10:06 PM
brocklee9000
I Pass the Butter

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by 86BravoPapa View Post
I've been wondering about this. Are there any advantages to doing Commercial MEL first then SEL add-on?
There really aren't any, unless you have a hankering for multi piston PIC. That's really the only reason I can fathom that my school structured private multi before commercial. The other big reason, and I'm noticing this more and more, is that sometimes it's the solution to the complex requirement. When you have a fleet of Diamonds, the only complex is the DA42, so we did comm AMEL then ASEL add on in a DA20. But regardless of fleet type, single complex seem to be an aging and rare breed. Some schools keep their 172RGs and Arrows chugging along, but unless you're a small part 61 school then you just won't be able to keep up with the demand. 100+ students trying to get into a handful of single complex for all of their commercial training is impossible. Especially when they'll be flown to death, who knows how quickly they'll go through 100hr inspections, and who knows what'll go wrong on old aircraft. It creates a bottleneck and it sucks, we had 4 DA42s and there was always 1 or 2 in the hangar. It was tough trying to manage all the private multi and commercial multi students when half the twins were down. Then you go look at schools like ATP or TransPac (now AeroGuard) and see how many seminoles they have and how many are always flying, and then notice they have maybe one Arrow that sits around mostly unused.