View Single Post
Old 01-30-2018, 02:10 PM
BeechPilot33
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

Originally Posted by Hang em High View Post
oI am in a lucky place in having two opportunities at the same time. Albeit they may not be the top choice for many on the forums, for me I feel like it's the best I can do based on current experience and education level.
I am a corporate pilot looking to break into the 121 world. I have been offered a position at both Horizon airlines (175) and Frontier airlines (airbus). The pay I believe at the end of the year 1 is relatively the same but changes quickly year 2. Frontier is currently in negotiations so the pay may change for even better in the near future.
A little about me 44 years old, wife, 3,5 & 15 year olds kids.
Here are the current pros for each:
Horizon
Pros
1. Pathway to Alaska airlines
2. Northwest living (originally from there)
3. Aircraft is closer to what I currently fly weight wise and size
4. Transition to 121 world probably easier. Good training facility
Cons
1. Regional airline
2. Not final destination
3. Pay sucks for however long stuck there probably 3-4 years
4.start over at Alaska and work my way up

Frontier
Pros
1. Could be final destination airlines
2. When negotiations conclude payscale will be bigger than Horizon and maybe similar to Alaska
3. Airbus type rating
4. Good pilot group
5. Live in base already (Orlando)
6. Company is growing with 134 aircraft on order and a pilot hired today can expect to be in top 20% of Frontier pilots by 2026.
7. Company seems very successful under current business model.
Cons
1. Training contract 2 years
2. Pay for housing during training
3. Company Most likely will be sold in 5-10 years

I feel very fortunate for both opportunities I have been handed. I am just trying to make the best decision for my family and career. I basically have this once chance left. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Of course reading what I wrote Frontier looks like the clear winner but I still welcome my peers thoughts and advice from the 121 industry.
No brainer Frontier. Get in now before the new contract