View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 09:32 AM
flydiamond
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

Originally Posted by HeloToJets View Post
I am applying to a number of airlines having retired from the military and wanting to start a new flying career.

I have looked at SkyWest, but I am not sure whether I should apply or not. Here are my concerns...

1. I live on the East coast and SkyWest doesn't really have any East coast hubs. The closest is ATL.

2. They don't pay for the hotel for the interview. As I live on the East coast, I would need two nights, which currently unemployed, is expensive for me.

3. To be frank, from what I have read their interview is much longer, more involved, and requires more prep.

4. Double occupancy during training? Really?

If I am waiting for a response from an East Coast based airline, is there any reason to apply to and interview with Skywest? I am not looking for a war, but rather am looking for genuine career guidance. For example, is Skywest a better airline to have on my resume than say PSA, TSA, or Piedmont? Any other considerations?

Thanks for the advice.
Where on the east coast are you? If within a one flight commute of both ATL and NYC and don’t live in one of the AA wholly owned bases I’d strongly consider Endeavor. Better pay, better schedules being a 75% CRJ900 airline, better commuter policies such as a positive space ride to work if necessary and alternate deadheads at the end of a trip. The fact we are appropriately staffed (if not fat on the FO side) allows a great QOL at the moment.

Regarding Skywest, given the current market it is unfortunate they don’t pay for the hotel for the interview and that the hotel for training is dual occupancy. The latter in my opinion devalues us as professionals.

PS I was offered an interview via Skype with Skywest. I’m not sure if that depends on whether or not one is already employed in a professional pilot (135/121) gig or not, but they do offer them.... Turned it down and interviewed in person as a personal preference. The interview was thorough but as long as one is prepared it is not hard...