View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 09:50 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Flying Boxes View Post
Agree, sorry if I mislead anyone. My orders were OCO funded & properly documented as to which contingency. Had my local orders clerks add the statement to these orders and DD214. All legal and above the board, no gaming the system. Work was at HQ, not at my unit.

There was a friend who was hard played by his Chief Pilot about orders not having a statement about exempt status, even though the funding was OCO. May not be "legal", but that's who he had to work with!!!! He is back at his civilian job with no lasting issues. That is why I had the statement on my orders & DD214. My employer initially did not agree that it was exempt as stated on my DD214, but (very) short time later was given a class date. I guess the company lawyers know the law a little more accurately.

So as always, know the law and follow it! Maintain documentation to prove your orders, mil leave notification, update company when/if new orders extend. There are legal limits you cannot go beyond for reemployment rights based on length of orders. Stepping out of these limits can be hazardous to your civilian employment.

Happy to be retired and only working 1 job!!!!!
Most employers are typically either ignorant or try to push the boundaries on stuff like this. Absolutely get things documented to CYA.

My comments were directed at the guy looking at sanctuary... he needs exemption for past orders, too late to get the orders/DD214 written to clearly document exemption, so in his case he'll need to research the underlying details of those orders and try to find links to OCO, etc... and maybe hire a lawyer to roll it up and assertively "splain" it to the employer.