Thread: New Contract?
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 05:37 PM
TallFlyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by joseolay View Post
It would benefit ALPA and the pilot group tremendously if ALPA funded CBA learning/study classes were offered. A representative from ALPA could teach a 1-2 hour class at or around the airport. Time slots could be published and RSVP'd and any one pilot could attend but the focus would be on new hires that recently finished IOE. I'm sure you have some excuse why that is not possible but I know ALPA volunteers that would love to do stuff like this, but the upper MEC folks(probably) don't want to fund it.
Well, if there are volunteers that want to do that kind of thing, then we wouldn't need to fund it, now would we?

Actually what I think would be more valuable is online training created at the national level that talks about the relationship between the company, the union, and the rank and file, as well as some of the specifics about bargaining and representation under the RLA, and why National itself doesn't support amending that legislation (well, at least they didn't the last time I was in a conference at Herndon they didn't...).

At this exact moment there's a lot of potential changes in store for certain sections of the contract so I don't think now is the right moment to tackle that project at an MEC level.