Old 07-29-2005, 04:49 PM
HSLD
APC co-founder

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: B777

Originally Posted by HuronPlt
But enough a$$ kissin!
More More!

First, Welcome. I think you will find lots of interesting perspective and experience on this board, (and they hardly ever call you names like over at Brand X!).

I almost thought I was reading my own CV from when I left the Corps. Same profile for me, helos and not much FW, I found a job flying King Airs to build PIC time over the course of a few years after leaving the service. Movement was slower in the airlines back then and the regionals didn't fly the gee-wiz equipment they now have.

I don't think you have a bad choice.

Go for the regionals and yes you will take a big pay-cut, but the upgrades come as fast as 8-12 months at some airlines and you'll have the crew time at a 121 airline. Plan on about two years to get the upgrade AND the PIC time in type to be a player at the majors.

Go with the King Air job or any corportate gig and the PIC time will come slower but around two years you should have enough PIC time and at a higher wage.

Either way, with your pedigree (sort of ) you're in good shape, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

So, lets review. Regionals: low pay, fast promotion, 121 experience in a modern transport category jet. Corporate: More pay, less frequent flying, no/limited crew time, older equipment. Both paths will set you back around two years.

With your background, I don't think down the road at your 121 airline interview of choice it will really matter too much which path you choose. That said, I'm sure we'll see comments about which is better, but if I was the HR person accross the desk - I see that you had good "industry motivation". You left the service, took a cut in pay, did what you had to do to meet min. qual. to advance your aviation career.

Good Luck & hope to see you as a regular around here.

Last edited by HSLD; 07-30-2005 at 12:08 AM.