View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 07:45 PM
MrAviator180
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2016
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by Papa Charlie View Post

I'm talking something about aviation, and she says "I'm sure going to miss you when you become a professional pilot."
Life isn't easy on the road. It all depends on your spouse. Either it'll be horrible or it'll be amazing. I never did, and wouldn't let a relationship dictate my life's career. That's just me.

But a family is a major life goal of mine, if not the #1 life goal, and I want to be there for them. Whomever I marry. So I wouldn't ordinarily do any of those traveling jobs.
Well, lots of pilots have families.

But it's easily 80% of the market for pilots, and corporate jobs require some major "ins" that I just don't have, and i'm not much of a social butterfly.
Who told you this? There's thousands and thousands of corporate jobs listed on the orange site. You'd be surprised how many people you meet once you start flying even as a low time pilot and how many of those people might "know a guy" that can get you that job. So many feet in so many doors. Many more jobs out there than corporate too. 91 gigs, contract freelancers that have the type ratings bring home epic amounts of money and spend 20 days+ a month at home. Corporate jobs don't require ins if you look in the right places. Though they do help.

Am I making the right decision?
That's a question only you know the answer to. You're giving up on your childhood dream for a... Female, that you're not even sure is the one? I don't mean to open up the wrong door but I had a girlfriend that tried keeping me from becoming a pilot. Long story short my career outlasted the relationship. You live and you learn. Typing this from my hotel room. Glad I made the choice. I apologize in advance if this may have offended you. Flying every day as a "job" - I've always wanted to do - Is amazing. Hope this helps some. 10-20 years ago - The pay was much ****er, and the job conditions were too. So now's a great time do it if you can commit to it personal level. Maybe make some sacrifices.