View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 05:10 AM
Herkflyr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Left seat of a little plane

Originally Posted by iaflyer View Post
For me, probably not going early. Why? by the time I'm in my 60s, I can be senior in something, even if it's a widebody FO. If I don't want to fly a trip, I'll probably be able to drop it or swap it (these won't be crappy narrow body trips). And worse case, if I have to fly, probably an easy trip to Europe or Asia.

I'll still have health coverage, more $$$ added to my retirement, and S3 travel benefits to go places on my days off. Kids will be out of the house, so on my 20 days off a month, I'm sure I'll have time for my hobbies.

I think some guys talk a good game about leaving early, but not as many pull the plug early as we think.
Your last comment is spot on. Guys want to get "cool points" at the bar because somehow claiming that this job is an afterthought, or some such thing, seems to be a badge of street cred. God forbid someone actually say they like their profession and get pride and enjoyment from.

Beyond that, all the reasons you just stated seem to keep guys flying until age 65. In fact I have recently noticed guys lamenting leaving at 65. That's sort of creepy on the other side of the discussion. It is important that no matter how much we might enjoy this profession (and I do) that we have something else in life that motivates us. Otherwise guys go from 777 captain one day, to S3B priority on the standby list the next and have a hard time adjusting. They tend to be the ones who die at age 67... not even enjoying their retirement.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk