Thread: CFI to UAL CPP
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 04:04 PM
MasterOfPuppets
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: 787

Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Comparing a CPP from a regional to hiring a CFI is apples to oranges. One has at least a modicum of experience, the other does not.

What, the huge hiring wave raises the law of averages an then it becomes concerning? Concerning begins at a point in time when the Captain needs to call on the experience of the pilot to his right and it isn't there. That can occur with the 1st hired or the 901st.

I treat people like human beings trying to live their life. I certainly wouldn't treat them differently but I'm sure as hell not going to put them in a position, PF or PM, they can't handle. The passengers at the very least deserve this.

This is well beyond being cool and free beers. My curiosity is still raised as to why we hire a CFI vs give consideration to those with exponentially more experience.
I don’t know if anyone knows the answer to your question as to why they made a CPP deal with a flight school, but they did and now it’s being honored.

I agree the passengers do deserve a safe flight and it’s the CAs job to assess any situation and make the best decision. What is your plan though? are you going to ask every FO if they are CFI CPP? What if on day 3 during casual conversation you find out they are from the CFI CPP? Are you all the sudden going to be extra vigilant?

There is no reason to be upset until we see how this goes. If it is horrible than we can use the union to shut it down. ALPA Pilots still have a say in who we hire, and a pilot can still get fired on probation.