View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 11:19 AM
RPAeyes
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Position: RPA sensor
Default CBP Sensor operator for UAS

Quick question for CBP pilots. I spent 6yrs in the AF as a sensor / payload operator on Preds and Reaper UAS platforms. I attended a hiring fair for CBP and the recruiter talked me up about how much CBP is using their UAS in the field and how my military experience would be a fit. I'm currently working as a contractor for GA for UAS missions OCONUS. Money is good and I have great down time, but I'm a little burned out on spending so much time in the box.

Long story short, I applied for a aviation enforcement agent position I've passed the polygraph, passed background and just took my drug test and other physical. My question for you CBP pilots is, what's my chance of ever getting into a real airplane or maybe even a helicopter? I do hold a commercial single/multi engine license and someday hope to fly for a cargo or charter outfit.

Does CBP ever allow the sensor guys to fly, provided they are licensed pilots? Coming from a UAS background, I know full well the weather limitations on the UAS, so my question is what do CBP agents do on non flying days? I'm still waiting on my final official job offer, and I don't know when I would be attending the CBP academy.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to learn about the job. I've read every post on this site about the CBP pilots, but there is no mention about the sensor agent.