View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 07:51 PM
Merle Dixon
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Legacy FO, T-38 IP

Originally Posted by warthog View Post
Hey all,
Was wondering if anyone on here has good gouge on what makes for a competitive AFOQT/TBAS score for USAF pilot selection. My son is 24, a college grad, but with no flying experience. Has decided that the business world is full of turds, and wants to take the tests for USAF. My experience with it is over 37 years old, so I have no good info for him on what he needs to score to compete. Any help appreciated. Thanks!
As others have typed, have your son search the interwebs and order a book or two on AFOQT study. A Private Pilot License is a good idea. We have a lot of students in SUPT right now that are off the street Guard / Reserve hires (in the good ol days you had to enlist in Guard / Reserve unit X and eventually get a SUPT slot, not true anymore). I recommend you have your son contact every Guard unit in the country that flies aircraft he may be interested in. I think the Guard does a much better job of taking care of their people than the Reserve. Above all else, avoid active-duty at all costs.

Cheers!

Merle