Old 02-15-2018, 06:24 PM
Adlerdriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
3. A Pilot on reserve would be paid the same credit hours and work the same number of days as someone flying a line.
Great way to make reserve go senior, but definitely not an equitable solution.

First, commuting is a choice (that I gladly make). Sitting reserve when you live in domicile versus doing it as a commuter are polar opposites. It's already a pretty good deal for the locals. You want to make it even better?

Ask any local, non-commuter how many days they "worked" last month on reserve. Being in the MEM local area on call may not be any one's definition of a true day off, but on the other hand - never leaving your house, mowing your lawn or hanging with the family ain't exactly work either.

So, you're suggesting they get more paid days at home?

As far as credit hours go. RLG next month for 777 FOs is 91:12. Average BLG is 95. So, if some guy on reserve gets called out for a 95 hour-15 day single departure line, he's most likely done for the month after that. Guess what? He worked the same number of days as a line holder who has a 15 day, 95 hour trip. But, as an added bonus, he gets any CH over RLG(3:48) at draft pay while the line holder doesn't.

My point is - if someone on reserve actually starts moving metal around for the same number of days as a lineholder, they pretty much time-out at an equal number of days worked. On top of that, they usually end up with some draft pay if they fly that much. If they actually get called out for ALL of their R-days, they end up well compensated and far ahead of a typical line-holder in the pay department.

I'd say it's a fair trade the way it is (just talking $$ and days). Personally, I'd burn negotiating capital to improve the reserve system before I'd use any of it to get someone on reserve a couple more CH and technical "days off" each month. Sure, there's the occasional time in the barrel. But, tell me the last time you ran into someone on reserve that wasn't bragging on how little they got used on average.