View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 01:12 PM
AFTrainerGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
AFTrainerguy,

If you’re talking about ANG/AFRC; it’s all about squadron mgt involvement in my experience. My unit worked hard for those who wanted to go to UPT and had the quals and motivation. I had a good relationship with the recruiters; made time early in the effort to meet candidates; then followed up to make sure tests, physicals were done and results relayed to the individuals. Westover, at several points had “unit babies” in every position below Wing/CC. The last 3 commanders were unit babies, too. That helps.

Went to a graduation at Laughlin just before I retired. I, as SQ/DO, had five UPT students from my unit there at once. Might be some kind of record.

GF
Yep... AFRC. Off the street guy, trying to apply to unsponsored AFRC pipeline (while he tried to build a package and interview with specific units too).

I am a “reserve baby” and get the process. when your affiliated with a unit it’s a lot easier, but it’s harder to get a interview cold off the steet without tests complete and a PCSM score. Hence, getting basic tests scheduled. And there’s the rub. He literally just got “put on hold”, delayed, told the recruiter was retiring, new one in 3-6 months, and other crap continually (like taking off work and traveling to another base to take test, only to be turned away because it wasn’t scheduled on that day).

Anyway... I helped all I could, but in the end it just put a bad taste in his mouth. Combine that with a captain upgrade at his regional while this was going on and he was over the military flying dream.

You sound like ya’ll take good care of your candidates, but working at UPT and talking to all sorts of students, you will be surprised how many people don’t and the continual problems they have working in this bureaucracy.