View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 07:18 PM
awise16
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by Flymeaway View Post
You need a little recency of experience just so you don't struggle in training. You do NOT want a PRIA failure just because you decided to give it a try without hardly flying at all for the past 4 years. That could kill your hope of going to a major even in the current hiring environment. 150 hours might be a little overkill though. 75-100 with some instrument refresher in there should be fine in my opinion, but I don't know you or how proficient you are right now.

You can't work for a part 121 airline unless you have at least an R-ATP though. You can probably get 25 hours in the sim with the company you choose, but you'll need everything except those 25 hours before you start training. You can always apply and interview beforehand though. I interviewed with another candidate who was still over 150 hours away from being qualified.

Endeavor and Republic are the places to go these days, especially if you expect to be there for awhile and you aren't just looking for a fat signing bonus before going to a major in a few months.

Edit: That said, if you have a family and aren't willing to move, it's probably worth a good chunk of change to find an airline with a base near where you live, that's junior enough that you can get there in a reasonable amount of time. Commuting to reserve is not so great.
I appreciate your detail here. I know I need to be somewhat recent, and this is why I’ve decided to get my MEI/25 multi plus start taking students again to help prep for the interviews and training. The 25 multi hours will be no problem obtaining and I should have shortly.

I just wanted to apply early enough that these hirings don’t start to settle down on me while I’m trying to get current. Im just trying to find that happy middle between applying quickly and being current enough to be proficient in regional training.